6 Jun 2010

The Hungry Earth & Cold Blood

"We're in the centre of the Earth. And there are lizard-men" - Mo.


The fact I've been putting this one off for two weeks should give you some idea of what I thought of this one, none the less I shall do my duty. Maybe I just don't like writing about two-parters.

So, we're in Wales, which isn't London so I'm happy. I think it's the not too distant future. I dunno, I wasn't paying much attention. For some reason a group of scientists decided that because some blue grass had shown up that they'd build a drill of arse-opening dimensions and dig for what was causing it. Righto, with you so far.

A quick sonic later
The first half can't make up it's mind on whether it's slow or fast, whilst the pace is undeniably a snails pace, what happens seems to be ridiculously quick in some cases. For example, he knocked up a perimeter monitoring doowhacky in 4 minutes with a horse penis screwdriver, and that kid can draw a near perfect OS map just like that? I can't do that and I'm a Geography student. Not a brilliant one, admittedly.

This is our planet!

And in a return to Midnight, another character who's eyes you want to fork out. I know it's the premise of Ambrose character but still I loathe them beyond speech. I actually preferred Alaya over her. Which brings me onto the new Silurians. Well, I miss the third eye but overall me likey. They're actually characters now! They have names and emotions and lips, and they even vary, anyone else notice the military cow with the scar?

How can this all be here?

One thing I will say about the episodes was in Cold Blood the underground was gorgeous. I mean truly lovely, and made the whole thing a little more interesting, rather than just being corridors, they're tunnels and viaducts and watery things. Shame Platform 1 had to make another reappearance.

"If I could get a word in"

Okay, now I'm struggling, and I don't want another review looking as sparse as Vampires In Venice. I should really add to that one at some point. I liked that episode. I suppose I should look for something worthy of praise. Let's see, praise... praise. Ooh! Rory's death was handled with the first bit of drama in the episode. They tried it with the cold open for The Hungry Earth and failed miserably. They sort of got something with Amy being swallowed by the hole from hell but it was the reaction to knowing Amy was about to lose Rory's memory that got me more than his death scene. I was at a party at the time. Still, I'll miss Rory for the two episodes he's dead. He added a good effect to the TARDIS crew.

The one character that stood out for me in this was Nasreen. I sincerely hope she comes back as a companion, because amongst other things the TARDIS was revealed to her as something more surreal, the musical accompaniment making it more of a slightly scary experience than the glorious open it was given in The Eleventh Hour. Her handling of the situation with the Silurians made her a very convincing character and one that's quite headstrong, but willing to do the right thing (like blow up her life's work), she seemed so suited to travelling in the blue box.

Right. That should do it.

No comments: