11 May 2010

The Vampires of Venice

Oh right, so I'm being reviewed now am I? - Rory


Considering the amount of indifference and loathing this episode has gathered from others, I was pleasantly surprised by this one, it's Venice, it has vampires, and one of them's gorgeous.

Fish from space have never been so... buxom.

The big hitter with this episode would appear to universally be the boobtacular vampires. As we discover about mid-way through they aren't real Vampires, but fish from another planet. As Rosanna informs us their world was lost to another crack in space, and Venice is to become their new world. Splendid. Of course it's not just the lady vampires that can tick boxes. Francesco? I'd do him. Though, probably a good idea to skip oral.

Remember us, Doctor. Dream of us.

My favourite has to be Rosanna, played artfully by Helen McCrory. Throughout the episode her depiction of her tragic persona is carried off with a generous level of gentleness, her encounter with The Doctor is more playful than sinister, to which I felt sorry that The Doctor turned down her proposal. Her death is made all the more poignant for the fact she is the last beacon of hope, and in her despair is consoled to only one course of action. Becoming fish food.

"Parents do a lot to get their kids into good schools, they move house, they change religion, so why you trying to get her out?"

There’s something about this episode that I like when I look at it and know I shouldn’t. But I do. It’s like when you fancy someone you really shouldn’t. It can’t be helped. In what appears to be the theme of the series old technologies resurface, the perception filter being another favourite here. One thing that was a little off with this one was the design of the Vampires. Or should I say prawns?
Another high point was the affection Rory has for Amy and his best (if admittedly feeble attempts) to keep Amy safe and rebuke the Doctor for the dangers he makes people face, a statement he later contradicts himself. The climax of the episode makes for something out of vintage Doctor who, I’m getting flash backs of the Tenth Doctor up against Maureen Lipman and Tom Baker risking regeneration and limb against the Master.

“I’m Venetian. I can swim!”

Really I can’t put my finger on why I like this so much, maybe it’s the decacant depiction of Venice, the classy lines, or maybe even Rory. Okay, not Rory, but it must take skill to play a character as such a prat. Okay not skill. The episode is a fun romp and makes a lovely light hearted counter-balance to the terror of it’s predecessor. Okay, not terror

No comments: